Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Natural

Starring: Robert Redford
Category: Drama, Feel-Good

I caught this as it was starting on TV. Now, I knew what it was about to start of with. I had read reviews about (or rather tributes to) this movie. So part of me came to see what the big deal was about. At the end of it, I wasn't that impressed.
Don't get me wrong. I fully understand watching it some years after it was release puts it in a different context. It is a more cynical time so watching it with new eyes is a different experience. So what does that mean? This movie doesn't stand the test of time?
Robert Redford, on his part was very effective. The Roy Hobbs character was older in years and has more under his belt so I get that his acting creating someone more subtle, more things to hide. His ability to convey that is truly a gift. Contrast Redford in this movie with another one further down the road, like Sneakers, where he was less subtle in actions even though this character had also something to hide.
I guess the main reason I wasn't swept away by this movie was that it involved baseball. I think it was me rather than the movie's fault. I'm more of a football and basketball guy. I understand the concepts in general and able to figure out what is good and bad in the game. But there is something about baseball that makes it less dramatic, less interesting. Maybe the fact that the players spend most of the time standing or sitting around doing nothing. Or how detached the back office can be from the actual game. It turned me off to the movie because as a sports movie, there was actually too much about the sport rather than the people playing them. Towards the end, I thought the characters actually become shallower. It's just my fault I didn't quite understood the story of the movie. It felt like a ride. Other than Hobbs, everybody else seems to be one-dimensional despite their grand-standing. Maybe not appreciating baseball is why I don't 'get' this movie.
Strange thing is, I totally get Field of Dreams and For the Love of the Game.

No comments :